Saturday 1 January 2011

New Year New Start

Happy New Year!

How many times have you made a resolution and not kept to it? Here is a real opportunity in 2011 for you. As I will start recounting my experience on the Dukan diet, why not start your diet journey yourself? A lot of those resolutions involve improving ourselves. Stop smoking, stop or cut down drinking, lose weight. All these things are positive steps to take. I'll just concentrate on the one which is most relevant to this blog. If you think you should lose weight, you probably should. We often find that coming off the end of the holidays, our weight is higher than ever, which makes us determined. 

I mentioned in earlier posts the incredible calorie consumption attributed to Brits on Christmas Day. Those in the US started the season earlier with Thanksgiving. I've seen the delicious spreads Americans enjoy at their unique celebration. I've never taken part, but I have watched cookery shows and seen enough US television to get a good idea. All over the world, there are important celebrations at this season, whether for religious reasons, or to mark the end of the calendar year. The common theme is indulgence and this is important and always has been. In the northern temperate regions we needed to eat well when the climate was harshest and food sources were at their lowest. We have a common human heritage of eating communally at the important moments of our lives or our beliefs and history. Now that in the developed world we eat well all the time, this indulgence has other consequences.

We make our resolutions to start the year and it is a good time to start losing weight. If you see merit in the Dukan diet - and I will spell out the benefits I found in this plan - then now is a very good time to start. 



I just checked my diary. Easter is in late April this year. Good Friday is the 22nd. For readers who are not so attached to the Western festivals, my apologies. Unless you have a birthday or a wedding anniversary in between, there are no excuses in the calendar to throw you off course. Good Friday is 112 days away. I lost the weight I wanted to lose in 76 days. That was, to save you reviewing the older posts, 19kg or 40lbs or three stone (all rounded off, but you get the idea).

Take advantage of the season. If you get to Easter and you aren't at the target, that will be the time to think that there will be another Easter in 2012 and you will be able to enjoy that one guilt free if you don't go off plan in 2011!

I'll be posting again later today. In the mean time, I wish you all a wonderful 2011. I hope it brings you whatever you wish for.

No comments:

Post a Comment