Wednesday 16 March 2011

Health Check - to check it really works

Having been on the Dukan Diet plan for a while - in fact reaching the stage soon where I will be unfettered by rules six days a week - I thought it was time to make sure all was well.

I saw my doctor and she pointed out that I should have a blood test since it had been a while since my cholesterol levels were checked. (Last time was a few years back and then my LDLs were on the high side). The high protein element of the Dukan Diet ("all that meat" as some people falsely lament) has resulted in criticism that the plan can force cholesterol levels up.

My blood test results showed that I am in good health, my cholesterol, blood sugars etc were all fine. indeed my cholesterol levels have dropped since I was last checked. Now that my weight is in the normal range and I intend to keep it that way, my risk of heart disease has gone to normal levels. 

A quick aside. We are all mortal. Even those who take good care of themselves can get sick. Poor diet and obesity increase the risks. Good diet and a healthy weight reduce the risks. There is still a risk, but that is life. Smokers often defend themselves by saying even non smokers get cancer. This is true, because it is impossible to eliminate all possibilities of illness. But why increase the chances? Smokers and fat people have considerably more health problems than non smokers and slim people. 

Live well and live long! After my visit to the doctor I am more confident that I have made the right decisions to succeed in that goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment