Saturday 5 March 2011

Always lots of positives to losing weight. Trouser belts!

I have a habit of harping on about how pleased I am with myself after losing so much weight. Occasionally I feel guilty about this, but why should I? If you have lost a lot of weight, you have done something to be proud of.


I've written similar posts before. There are benefits to losing weight, big and small, that you would not have expected when you decided to do it. You will have had a list of reasons that made you decide to do it, but when you reach your target you should examine your life and note the changes you might not have expected.


Today for me it's trouser belts. 

I have a number of belts and had a very satisfactory session some time ago shortening them. My belts were mostly too good to get rid of when they became loose on their last hole, and I discovered that it is better to shorten the belt than to punch additional holes. I have two reasons for this. Firstly, shortening the belt felt more like a statement that I wouldn't need a longer belt again. Secondly there is an aesthetic consideration; cutting extra holes just means you get a longer flap of leather hanging out of the buckle. Most belts can be shortened easily, provided you can remove the buckle. You have to cut the belt at the buckle end, not the curved tongue. If the buckle doesn't come off, then you can't shorten the belt neatly, unless you have it done professionally. 

There is a further choice: buy new belts!


This made me think about belts. As a fat person I needed belts. They kept my trousers up as they went around my belly, or got caught under it. They stopped the waistband of my trousers rolling over. Without a belt, my trousers were clinging precariously to the tapering slope of my body. Without a tight grip, they would tend to slide down.


It occurred to me that I never used to wear belts back in my early twenties and before in my teens. I didn't need them because my body did not conspire against my trousers! I don't need the belt now either! I choose to put a belt on because I think it looks better. 


Actually, this is not quite true. I occasionally need a belt because I have kept trousers that are really too big around the waist, but are too good for me to discard. I cinch in that big waistband around my normal waist. I don't need a belt provided the trousers are the right size!


Looking for all the positives to losing weight is inspiring and will help you to stay committed to keeping your svelte new shape.


Why don't you send me your own thoughts on this? What have you gained by losing weight?

No comments:

Post a Comment